[Back to Formatted Version]

Frank E. James Manuscripts, c. 1950s

By Zachary R. Jones, Archivist

Collection Overview

Title: Frank E. James Manuscripts, c. 1950s

ID: MS/044

Creator: James, Frank E. (1893/94-1959)

Extent: 1.0 Folders

Date Acquired: 00/00/2010

Languages: English [eng], Tlingit [tli]

Scope and Contents of the Materials

This collection contains a photocopy of an unpublished manuscript of Tlingit oral traditions as written in English by Tlingit Indian Frank E. James (1893/94-1959). Most likely written in the 1950s, this manuscript was written in a notebook by James and contains two oral traditions about the 1882 Bombardment of Angoon by the U.S. Navy and a story about a Taku íxt’ (spiritual man) named Taakwx’ w’aal’ (perhaps meaning; winter feathers). The story about Taakwx’ w’aal’ speaks about his interactions with other íxt’ from Sitka, also listing some place names, such as the Taku village of Asgutu’ Aan.

Biographical Note

Frank E. James (1893/94-1959) was born on September 15, 1893/94 on Douglas Island, Alaska. James was a Tlingit Indian of Southeast Alaska, most likely of Angoon and of the Raven Moiety, perhaps L’eeneidí Clan. In writing James spelled his Tlingit name as “La-hoo-woo.” Sources indicate his mother’s name was Mary James. James obtained an education to the 4th grade and later worked as a fisherman and artist in the Juneau-Douglas area. He was known as a skilled silver and goldsmith jeweler as well as carver. In 1914 he married Annie Dalton of Hoonah, a Tlingit of the Eagle Moiety, Kaagwaantaan Clan, and T’akdeintaan yádi. After an accident with an automobile, James passed away in 1959.

Administrative Information

Acquisition Method: The material in the collection was photocopied from the original by a family member and descendant of F.E. James in 2010. The original remains in the hands of the family.

Box and Folder Listing

Folder 1: Photocopy of the F.E. James manuscript.Add to your cart.